OVERTAKING or OVERTAKEN?
Positives, Needs and Hopes
I watched Watford today. I’ve been watching Everton recently. Wolves and Leicester I’ve seen even more often.
Not just in action but on paper all these teams have at least half their first eleven that would get in ours.
They just need more belief to play like a Top 6 side and surely one of them will break through.
Arsenal are at a pivotal moment.
Arsenal could end this season in glory. They could go into the summer on a high. They could get CL football, a bigger budget, better players or more importantly players that are needed to balance an imbalanced squad.
Alternatively, Arsenal could not do any of this.
It could quite conceivably end in calls for Emery to leave, dissatisfaction of what seems like mediocre players coming in and big players wanting to spend the twilight of their career playing for an ambitious club.
I’m trying to remain calm as the former is possible.
I said this season was a free one for Emery because I think the club was in a horrific mess when he arrived.
He’s had to fix way, way too much and the scars are still evident.
As disappointed as we all feel it is actually possible for this season to be a year of progress if it ends in glory and then a big summer. That just seems so far away today.
Will Arsenal be on the path to overtake next season or will we be overtaken by more ambitious mid table clubs?
Both are possible.
* Mustafi’s best game this season.
His long range passing and decision making were much improved.
* Auba was significantly more active today and played like he cared. Hasn’t been the case for much of the season.
* Mkhi had his moments today. Was trying to make the difference and he looked likely to. He was then subbed.
* Leno once again saved us from embarrassment. As others around him have had a dip in form, he has risen.
* Lacazette was very good today. I’ve come to the conclusion that he is ‘very good’ at everything and the fact that he isn’t regarded as ‘world class’ is because he is arguably not excellent at any one part of the game.
It’s probably not fair on him that he isn’t because players who are considered ‘world class’ don’t have the rounded game that he has.
* Is Mesut Ozil lacking in confidence?
He rarely tries the incisive pass anymore.
He tends to poke and prod away but doesn’t seem to want to make the difference like he used to.
Perhaps it’s the impatient fan base that groan whenever we lose possession that discourages him?
* There are two many one footed players at Arsenal. They miss golden opportunities too often as they insist on shifting it to their favored side.
Makes me love Santi Cazorla even more.
* Guendouzi was becoming a very popular player. He keeps being brought on when not needed and often for someone that deserves to stay on.
Not helping him.
Arsenal need to keep their cool in Spain. When you are super frustrated going into a game it can greatly affect your temperament.
* Arsenal might want to consider lifting the mood by making an important and big signing early.
If Emery is under pressure but a Zaha or an Umtiti is signed early June then maybe hope follows.
* Just an interesting observation that lower and mid-table PL teams don’t seem to be focused on the beach this season. Wonder why?
I need to reset.
I did say Emery gets a free season but I’m starting to feel the weight of those words. I just want the man to receive proper support from the club as I hope the owners pay enough attention to what is brewing below 6th place.
Either way, this season could be glorious at the end of May.
Sometimes football gives you a blessing that you feel like you hardly deserved!
Sent from my iPhone