Gunners Town/ “Supporting Arsenal Is A Funny Old Game” Competition
Arsenal is a glamorous club – a global brand that has always attracted the rich and famous – British Royalty, Pop icons, Olympians and Hollywood stars have all rubbed shoulders at matches down the years. However, there is one breed of celebrity which Arsenal have lured in bizarrely high proportions… COMEDIANS!
Gunners Town co-owner and author Dave Seager tracked down a vast array of Gooner Comedy Royalty, interviewing them about their passion and support for Arsenal FC – from international super-star funny men Paul Kaye and Matt Lucas, the elder statesmen such as Clive Anderson, Laurence Marks and Maurice Gran, through to the current sitcom, panel show and stand-up kings, including Alan Davies, Romesh Ranganathan, Hugh Dennis, Ian Stone, Dara O’Briain, Milton Jones, Tom Rosenthal and Alex Brooker… Plus Gary Marshall, Chris Martin and Jim Campbell. The results are documented in this fantastic book, which is in support of Comic Relief, with a percentage of every sale donated to the charity. You can read about the book and order copies here and it is the perfect Christmas present/
The cover artwork for the book was created by the talented caricaturist Jamie Fulker (@jfdoodles).
The Competition and Prize
Gunners Town, in conjunction with Legends Publishing, is pleased to announce the Gunners Town/ “Supporting Arsenal Is A Funny Old Game” Competition, whereby competition entrants stand a chance to win a copy of the book “Supporting Arsenal Is A Funny Old Game”, signed by author Dave Seager, and featured comedian Alex Brooker AND a limited edition print of the cover artwork, signed by artist Jamie Fulker.
Simply match each of the following statements with the comedian to which they refer:
1) This comedian has spent some time chatting to Arséne Wenger, and likens some of Wenger’s philosophy on life and football to that of a Jedi: “Like a Zen Master. Like Yoda in Star Wars, who had to show them how it should be done…”?
2) This comedian, when asked in 2015, “What is your greatest fear in life?” was to answer: “Arsenal conceding from a corner!”?
3) This comedian met his hero Thierry Henry in 2015 and proceeded to tell him: “I’ve got a cardboard cut-out of you at home.”?
4) This comedian feels he has completed his football education but still does not grasp ‘running in the channels’: “I still don’t know where the channels are, and quite frankly I am very happy to die not knowing were the channels are.”?
5) This comedian worked as a teenager in the Chelsea Club shop with his Arsenal shirt under his blue uniform.
6) Which comedian got naked and left a cock smudge on the FA Cup whilst filming at Highbury in 2004?
7) Which comedian delivered the infamous comedy voice-over for the occasion upon which Wenger and his team met The Queen – in which Henry introducing Denilson as ‘Brazilian’ gained the royal response, “…Oh! I like a Brazilian myself, but Phillip prefers a door mat!”?
Submit your answer (eg: 1E, 2D, 3F, 4B, 5A, 6C, 7G) by completing the form below.
Please take careful note of the Competition rules, briefly outlined here:
- The Competition is open to ALL www.gunnerstown.com visitors.
- The Competition closes at 8:00pm [GMT] on November 4th, 2016.
- Enter your Full Name and a functional email address in the fields provided, as we will be using these details to notify you, should you win the prize.
- Submit your ANSWER in the field provided.
- Submissions are limited to ONE entry per person. Entrants who attempt multiple submissions will be disqualified.
- The WINNER will be selected randomly from a list of successful Entrants.
- The WINNER will be announced on gunnerstown.com and on the @GunnersTown Twitter feed on or about November 5th, 2016.
- The WINNER will be contacted using the details provided in the form below.
- The PRIZE includes postage free delivery to an address on the mainland U.K..
Find out more about the book here.
Gunners Town is a premier Arsenal blogging platform for passionate and knowledgeable Gooners. Established in 2012, the site has garnered over 5 million views.